Swedish Klarna hottest Nordic fintech company
Seven out of twelve of the hottest fintech startups in the Nordic countries are Swedish, according to a list by British Business Insider.
The Nordic countries – Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway and Finland have a flourishing financial technology scene.
Financial technology, better known as fintech, is exploding around the world and the Nordic countries are already home to so-called fintech “unicorns,” meaning startups worth over $1 billion.
British Business Insider has nominated the Nordic fintech startups they see as “the hottest” right now. Seven out of twelve are Swedish, in the top of the list is Swedish Klarna followed by another Swedish company, iZettle.
“We’re off course very flattered to be included in this list and we truly appreciate all positive attention we get. iZettle has grown constantly during since we launched five years ago. During the last months we’ve noticed a larger interest around what we and other companies in the so-called fintech sector are doing. The traditional bank- and finance business is about to change significant, partly thanks to companies like Klarna, iZettle and Trustly. It’s gratifying that so many Nordic companies is a part of this development,” Sven Grundberg, head of Public Relations at iZettle, tells Smashdig.
Except from iZettle the Swedish companies mentioned in the list are Klarna (1), Trustly (4), BehavioSec (5), Safello (6), FundedByMe (7) and Lendify (12).
It was proud and happy representatives from these companies Smashdig reached after the list was presented:
“We’re extremely proud to have been named in this list. We’ve previously made top lists at Wired and Fast Money and I believe it is all because verifying your identity online has always been a hassle, we just made it simple.” Neil Costigan, CEO, BehavioSec says.
“The recent recognition of Trustly in the media is further proof that all the hard work by our fantastic team is starting to bear fruit. Our efforts continue to be centered around creating great payment products that bring value to merchants and consumers alike,” Johan Nord, Chief Commercial Officer, Trustly, says.
“We are honored to have the list as the only equity crowdfunding platform. That in itself says a lot about the market we’ve been able to capture. I believe we made the list has to be due to the amount of money that has been raised to companies within the last year and creating a real difference to the entrepreneurial ecosystem,” Arno Smith, FundByMe, says.
Here’s the full list:
1. Klarna — Swedish online payment business
2. iZettle — Swedish maker of card readers for small businesses
3. Meniga — Icelandic company that makes personal finance tools for big banks like ING
4. Trustly — Swedish online payment method
5. BehavioSec — Swedish biometric security company that works with most Nordic banks
6. Safello — Swedish bitcoin marketplace that’s done a deal with Barclays
7. FundedByMe — Swedish crowdfunding platform
8. Coinify — Danish bitcoin company that lets businesses accept the cryptocurrency
9. Holvi — Finnish business current account with smart accounting tools
10. Fixura — Finish peer-to-peer lending platform
11. Lendino — Danish peer-to-peer lending platform
12. Lendify — Swedish peer-to-peer lending platform
For more information about each company read Business Insider’s full story.